Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resource
Town Events & Activities
- All Town sponsored events, activities, and programming are canceled through June 30. Reinstatement after June 30 will be assessed closer to that date. This includes:
- All Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources-sponsored events and programming. If you have pre-registered for a canceled event, you will be contacted directly with more information about a refund or rescheduling of the program.
- All Town buildings including Matthews Town Hall, the Matthews Community Center, Crews Recreation Center and the McDowell Arts Center are closed to the public until further notice.
- Town operations related to Administration, Planning & Zoning, Finance, Human Resources, Public Works, and Parks & Recreation will continue but with reduced in-person capacity. If you have a need, please continue to reach out to the appropriate department for service. Contact information for these departments can be found at www.matthewsnc.gov or by calling 704-847-4411.
- At this time, all Town of Matthews parks will remain open but no outdoor facility rentals (picnic shelters) will be allowed.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call Matthews Town Hall at 704-847-4411 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently, registration for upcoming classes, programs and summer camps is on hold. All summer camps taking place in June have been canceled. If you were registered for a camp in June, you should have received notification of the cancellation and will receive a full refund.
Register Online for Classes and Programs
2020 Summer Camp Registration is open!
Click HERE for the full camp listing. CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL CAMP BROCHURE.
Click HERE for the Camp Funshine Field Trip Schedule Overview.
Muggsy Bogues Summer Basketball Camps
Local basketball legend Muggsy Bogues returns to Crews Recreation Center this summer with a basketball camp for children ages 6-15. This week-long camp gives campers a chance to learn from Muggsy's staff of experienced counselors, as well as the former NBA great and Basketball Hall of Fame nominee himself.
Campers will participate in a variety of different skills, games, and tournaments, which will not only teach them the fundamentals but allow them to learn in a fun and positive environment. Lunch will be provided daily.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the June camp has been postponed. We are actively monitoring the situation and will make a decision on the August camp in the coming weeks. Please stay safe and stay home and be sure to adhere to the CDC guidelines to keep you and your families safe.
Register here: https://qrgo.page.link/jhd66
|Parks, Facilities, & Greenway Guide|
Enjoy Matthews Parks, Facilities, & Greenway
Parks are open from dawn to dusk each day.
The greenway is open at all times except during floods or repairs.
Parks and Facilities are tobacco free.
To reserve a shelter at any of these parks, call 704-321-7275
More information about Matthews Parks and Facilities can be found here.
Classes and Programs
The Town of Matthews offers a variety of recreation programs & activities for all ages. For more info regarding classes and programs, call the Matthews Community Center at 704-321-7275 or Crews Recreation Center at 704-708-1287.
Our Mission: The Matthews Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resource Department will preserve and enhance the quality of life with dynamic and accessible programs, facilities, services and the promotion of tourism. The department strives to create a strong sense of community through individual, environmental, social and economic impacts. Established in 1995, the department offers a wide variety of service, leisure programs, activities and opportunities for individuals of all ages and abilities. Park facilities, greenways and open space also provide recreational opportunities for citizens and surrounding communities.